- 2013 Festival
- Passes n Merch
- Press & News
- 2011 Festival
- 2011 Winners
- News Clippings
- 2011 Schedule
- 2011 Judges
- 2011 Films
- 2011 Special Guests
- 2011 Workshops
- 2011 Parties
- 2010 Festival
- 2009 Festival
- 2011 Festival
- Contact Us
Please scroll down for the Submission Deadlines and Fees, Entry Requirements, and our Terms and Conditions.
SUBMISSIONS FOR THE 2012-2013 SEASON ARE NOW CLOSED!
PLEASE JOIN OUR MAILING LIST TO BE NOTIFIED OF ALL OF OUR EVENTS AND ANY FUTURE COMPETITIONS.
Submission Fees for the 2012-2013 Season
Early bird prices are valid until 11:59pm on February 1st, 2013 and the regular season for submissions ends March 1st. All entries must be paid for and postmarked no later than March 1, 2013 to be eligible for the 2013 competition.
Features/Animated Films Early bird: **$45.00/Regular: $55.00
Shorts/Student Films Early bird: **$30.00/Regular: $40.00**At this time we are only able to accept check/money order payments in US Dollars. Thank you for your cooperation.
By not utilizing a third party organization to process submissions, we are able to keep our submission fees extremely low. All of our submissions are processed in-house and we carefully secure all of your valuable information. You are more than a tracking number to us!
Before you mail your submission, please make sure you have included all of the following:
- Completed entry form
- Signed terms and conditions
- TWO screener copies of your project in DVD-NTSC format
- Submission fee (see above), paid in the form of a check or money order (US dollars only) made out to SoCal Horro-Fi, or a printed copy of your Paypal receipt, if paying online.
Official rules and regulations:
- Films must be completed to be eligible to enter. Works in progress wil not be considered for competition, but we will screen trailers for a fee (see Marketing).
- There is no completed after date, but films must have been completed by July 31, 2012 to be eligible for competition.
- Features are defined as having a total runtime of more than 30 minutes in length. There is no maximum length for features.
- Shorts are defined as having a total runtime of 30 minutes or less. There is no minimum length for shorts.
- Student films must have been completed by student(s) while attending an accredited film school (vocational, college, or university; high school students should inquire for more information about how they can get involved). Filmmakers do not need to be enrolled in said school at the time of submission to qualify.
- Animated films can be any length to qualify for competition.
- Films shot in other formats must be available for projection in 35mm, Mini-DV NTSC, DV CAM NTSC, or Digital Beta NTSC.
- All non-English language films must have English language subtitles.
- Submissions must be postmarked no later than the deadline date to qualify for the respective entry fees.
- The Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival does not currently return submissions, once processed, whether or not they are accepted.
- SoCal Horro-Fi reserves the right to transfer films from one competition category to another without notifying the film's producers.
- Changing the screening format from what is listed on the application is not permissible.
- If selected, two DVD exhibition copies must be mailed in no later than May 5, 2013 for screening in the film festival.
- If selected, a press kit is strongly suggested, but not required. Digital press kits are preferred.
- -At least two (2) photos from the film (color preferred, B/W accepted) titled with name of film. We ask that filmmakers include photo credits, if applicable. Photos can also be submitted by email (jpg, 300 dpi preferred).
- We require the following information from winning films, for the website and program:
-Runtime (TRT, including credits)
-Country of Origin
-Premiere (ie. West Coast, World, US)
-One line description
-Full production credits and director’s biography
-Film synopsis – 50 words.
These terms and conditions must be printed and signed by all submitting parties before they will be eligible for competition or screening in the Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival:
Terms and Conditions
I, the undersigned, represent and warrant that I have full legal right and authority to submit the aforementioned film for consideration into the Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival, and that all necessary clearances, licenses, and approvals have been obtained. I will indemnify and hold harmless SoCal Horro-Fi for any liabilities and expenses in connection with any claims based on any film/project I have submitted to the Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival (BBHFF). I understand that any material deemed by the judges to be too pornographic or not of the genres of horror or science fiction will not be considered for competition. Futhermore, I understand that by entering the competition, I am allowing SoCal Horro-Fi permission to use the names and likenesses of my entire cast and crew for publicity and promotions, now and in perpetuity, without laying claim to any compensation. I understand that my submission is in no way a guarantee of acceptance into the festival, nor has any employee from the festival guaranteed my acceptance prior to submission.
With full understanding of the aforementioned agreement, I request that SoCal Horro-Fi evaluate and judge the material submitted with this agreement.
All paperwork must be filed with SoCal Horro-Fi for submissions to be considered. Additionally, submissions must be marked no later than March 1st, 2013 to be eligible for entry into the 2013 Big Bear Horro-Fi Film Festival. Thank you for your interest and we look forward to seeing your work.